The Return of eLf ideas

ideas of an eLven being in Canada

Monday, January 06, 2014

Yes to Criticizing, but No to Ridiculing nor Banning

(On the Validity of Whatever Kind of Art)
by aLfie vera mella

Being an avid enthusiasts of arts, music, literature, and films, I have long learned how to simply compartmentalize my appreciation towards these artforms.

First, I have developed the ability to appreciate art without religious regard for the creator. For example, even if Morrissey has recently declared that "meat eaters are like pedophiles" or that "meat is murder," I could still enjoy listening and buying records and books by and about him and The Smiths. I may like his music, but I could just ignore his activism that goes against my own principles.

Second, some movies really suck to me for whatever reason, but I wouldn't call out for the banning or ridiculing of such movies because, after all, there would surely be other people who would be passionate about these films. What I feel for such works of art will not be necessarily what others will feel about them. In the same manner that others should not expect me to share their sentiments concerning certain arts that they either love or hate.

To me, that's the true essence of freedom of expression.

If you didn't or don't like a particular artist (say, Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus), then just don't watch their performances or don't buy or listen to their music. If you don't like this and that actor or movie, then just don't watch that movie. You can even write about your dislike for such, but don't assume that your dislike will be universal. People are diverse. We have different tastes and preferences--be it for food, clothes, hairstyles, music, books, films, heck--even religion!

But, let others enjoy what they want to enjoy as long as they are not harming others in the process.

Criticizing an artform is okay, but calling for the ban of such artforms is to me ridiculous, arrogant, and selfish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home